Establishment of JOSJOS History
Although its conception was somewhat unusually difficult, it eventually came to light in 1988 as the Jordanian Orthodontic Study Group, which ultimately was changed to officially become The Jordanian Orthodontic Society.
It was the first group of Jordanian specialists to assemble under the wings of the Jordan Dental Association. At that period of time, the total number of orthodontists entered at the JDA Specialist Register was eight. As the name implies, the main aim of the group was to promote co-operation between colleagues and encourage continued education programs through local and regional orthodontic meetings and seminars.
The highlight of this study group achievements was the convening of the First Arab and Jordanian Orthodontic Congress in Amman on 29-30th of April, 1993. It is also worth mentioning that at that meeting, which hosted a large number of orthodontists (85) from more than 10 Arab countries, the proposition to establish the Arab Orthodontic Society (AOS) was unanimously adopted and approved by the attending Arab delegates.
JOS has come a long way since its humble beginnings, with more than 130 Specialist Orthodontists as members, as well as a wealth of Orthodontic Congresses and Continuous Education programs and activities under its belt, and it is committed – as it always has been – to the continued development of the Orthodontic profession in Jordan.
On 21/7/1986 the Jordanian Dental Association Council entrusted the task of organizing and supervising the specialized study groups to the scientific committee of the union.
On 18/10/1986, the Scientific Committee of the Jordanian Dental Association approved the rules of procedure for the specialized dental groups, including the orthodontic group.
On 20/10/1986 and by Resolution No. 1691, the Jordanian Dental Association decided, upon the recommendation of the Scientific Committee, to establish the specialized academic groups of dentistry, including the Orthodontic Study Group